Saturday, December 5, 2009

Why would you want to breed your dog "just because"?

I have a stellar "Bull Terrier b**ch that will be bred after she is two years and has passed all of her health checks. She will be bred to a Ch. male that I will have to fly her several miles away to get with. Right now she is in her first heat. As I am struggling through the whole nasty process I just can not fathom why so many people that own wonderful yet mediocre dogs insist on living through heat cycles to breed them! With the cost and the care and the MESS... not to mention the chaos and the stress. Why would anyone do this?



As if the blood and the constant policing (not even allowing her into the backyard off of a leash) to prevent any possibility of an "accident" occuring I now have a pack of 3 male dogs camped out in my front yard just praying for a housefire or any other moment of distraction to jump in and ruin my girl!



I live for my breed and love the outcome of what I do... but it just blows my mind why Mr. and Mrs whomever would put themselves through it all!



Why would you want to breed your dog "just because"?concert tickets



for the money



Why would you want to breed your dog "just because"?theater seating opera theater



What do you mean "ruin" her?



Then it sounds like you are doing it "just because",like you believe that myth "just because" you are old. school.



You mentioned the male was Ch. but you did not mention your female.......
Good question. Why would anyone breed "just because". It would be because they are stupid or lazy. All others would have a purpose....to provide pets or show dogs to people that want them. Those people live through the mess that comes with breeding.
It's the money man. People think they can stick two poor to mediocre dogs together, get some pups, and rake in the dough, never thinking about any consequence or harm that is being done. If every breeder were responsible, like you sound to be, well, it would be nice.
Because puppies are so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!!!!!!! And hey, we can make some easy money by selling the pups because the dog does all the work and all we have to do is play with the cute little puppies!!!!!!!



::sighs::



"If she were to get locked up with some mutt I would probably have her spay."



See, now that makes no sense to me. Sure, you'd end up with mixed puppies from that litter (which is bad), but there's no reason that a worthwhile dog couldn't be bred again later after that litter.



For example, I'd hate to imagine that they'd spay Minimoto (the Standard Poodle who took Group at Westminster) on the off chance she got loose and got pegged by some stray.



She doesn't retain anything of past sires in her system at all. There's no reason to think she's "contaminated" if something were to happen. That's just simple genetics.
Unfortunately alot of people aren't as discriminating as you are,breeding a pup on her first heat to a stud found on YA is fine with them.Thank you for looking out for your breed.
Ignorance mostly....a lot of ppl just chuck the female in the yard because it's too messy in the house and don't really give a damn if she gets pregnant or not. So many people are totally unaware of things like brucellosis as well. You are right, GOOD breeding is very difficult. Backyard breeding is easy.



In the meantime, have you tried the fancy pants for dogs in heat? Basically it's frilly underwear that you can put an absorbent pad into, or there's totally disposable varieties too.



%26lt;edit%26gt; I have seen a bull mastiff mom add suspenders to help with the "round butt" issue : )
There are thousands of pups put to death every year in the kill shelters, and killed by idiot owners.



Why are you wanting to add to the carbon footprint of breeding and adding to this nasty mix?



If you have homes designated for each and every pup that you will produce. Not just homes, but great forever homes, then you could breed if the genetics of each parent are ideal.



If not, you are a back yard breeder and doing the wrong thing.



Do not breed your dog, enjoy it for life..



Thank you
The only reason that anyone would want to breed their dog "just because" is to make money on the puppies being sold. People that have that mentality should not even breed their dogs at all. Why do you even want to breed her in the first place? There are so many homeless puppies and adult dogs that are killed every year in shelters. Why are you wanting to add to that number? You sound like you are irresponsible. :(
Not only for money (selling puppies, no matter what kind they turn out to be), but because some people don't believe in spaying or neutering....they feel it is like messing with Mother Nature, I guess, when in reality it is the best for all concerned, because of the population of strays that are suffering.
You said...



"When I say "ruin" I am of the old school that is very particular about never using a pure bred dog that has ever been bred by a dog of another breed(s). If she were to get locked up with some mutt I would probably have her spay."



I think that's just crazy.. it can't "ruin" her. It's not like the DNA of the other dog will remain in her womb waiting to taint any further litters.. It's not about old school it's about ignorance and that is an extremely ignorant assumption.



I don't breed, ANY kind of dog because you know what? 30% yeah 30% of dogs in shelters are Purebred, and the rest are all kinds of dogs, designer breeds, mixes, crosses you name it bottom line for every dog you breed, no matter champion blood or not another dog dies in a shelter because there are too many dogs in the world already. I choose not to contribute to that problem at all.
Hi, I'm currently looking for a male maltese for my baby girl. To be honest, I'm not breeding her "just because," although it might sound like that to anyone. About 8 months ago, I lost my puppies mother, she was old and lived a long happy life, and you definitely feel the loss when they're not there. Thankfully, I do have a number of family members who are wanting a puppy if I was successful in finding a compainion for my dog [It pays to have a big family at times...]



All those people who think it's "fun" to do though, I don't agree with. It was absolutely heart breaking to have lost Candy, but it just makes me even more grateful to have Cuddles in my life. I hope people do understand where I am coming from though. It's like, wanting to keep the 'blood line' going, just so that all the similarities remain in each pup. It's weird. Good luck trying to understand me :)
You have the same thinking as my father when you say 'ruin". My parents bred and showed dandie dinmont terriers in the 70's and he would say the same thing if one of our females were to get bred by a mutt!! So, I understand that one!



I don't think people know what you and many dog enthusiasts know when it comes to breeding. Many people don't understand that just because it's a purebred doesn't mean it "should" be bred. Their feelings are that if they paid money for a purebred, then they should get their money back from a litter. They also love their dog and are blinded by this love thinking their dog is the best and worthy of producing "just like them". They don't understand the genetics, the problems that can happen, the money that should go into breeding and all the work. I don't know if you can really understand all that until you have experienced it. Breeding a litter of puppies sounds so wonderful...but there are a lot of reasons why people don't realize this until they experience it. So, I think a lot of it is ignorance and not realizing theres so much more to it than putting two dogs out in the backyard.



I wish people would realize that most of the reasons why purebreds have a bad reputation is because of novice breeders wanting to breed the pet they bought from a pet store. I hear so many times that pure breds are "inbred" and that they are not as healthy as a mutt. Yes, this is somewhat true to some degree, but not when breeding is done correctly. I think the purebred population out there consists of too many poorly bred purebreds (thanks to the puppy mills and BYB) and the quality of dogs representing purebreds are poor, so they are all catagorized as "inbred". What people don't understand is that genetics is a science and it's not that easy to produce something of quality and they get offended if you tell them thier dog is not "good enough" to produce...they just don't get that.
They do it for money, or because they think that it is easy! I've even heard someone say they couldn't afford the spay! As she was writing out a check for over 锟?,000 in Vet's fees when her 'little darling' needed a C-section, at the time, I thought it was rather Ironic! I saw her Chihuahuas pups too and I don't know what the sire was but they were 'huge'!



95% of the pure bred that end up in 'rescue' are from BYB's and Mills. My own dog is a rescued puppy mill breeding ****** who should never have been mated! Luckily she's not too bad but her hip score isn't as low as it should be and as I doubt the sire was checked, the chances are her pups will have problems!



3 seasons with my very first ****** was more than enough to put me off keeping a 'whole' animal again. You're lucky you only have 3 dogs camped outside, when I had mine most males were left 'whole' and we once counted 20! We had them front and back!



At least when I bred cats I could keep them safe in a 'sound-proof' shed. If you've ever heard a pair of mating Siamese, you'll understand why!



I'm glad that you at least are breeding responsibly and I'm sure that you will be well prepared when the big day comes, so have no hesitation in Wishing you Every Success!
Some just do it because they love babies. They have babies and then they can have no more. So they have puppies, then kittens, then baby bunnies, then baby birds, then baby fish.



Some people just love baby anythings.



My neighbour is like that an so was one of my Aunties.
I know the panty problem too, lol some days Im tempted to duct tape them to the dogs. If its not a big invasion of privacy which stud are you going to use I always love hearing about things going on in the Bullie world. Well be glad your Bullie doesnt think shes a monkey and jumps up on the table that would be a horrible mess.



Honestly I cant see why either because some b*tches really do turn into b*tches when they go into season or even permanently after their first heat I was happy Karma didnt do that she just started listening finally. People just dont make sense.



Heh then you probably wouldnt be going for Action dogs my boss prefers whites and brindles she doesnt breed for any other variation, she got ticked once when a puppy was born in a litter that was a tri XD

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd