Saturday, December 5, 2009

A little question about musical education ... or is it about something else?

I was once chatting with a young woman who had just graduated with a degree in music therapy. Although she wanted to share with me the name of her favorite operatic aria which she said came from a Wagnerian opera, she could not remember the title, and promised to let me know the next time we met.



I was a little surprised. She was all of 23 and I have not often come across people who groove on Wagner at that age, much less young women. So, I was very curious. (When I was 23, I thought Wagner was beyond the pale and anyone who liked his music was a curious old antique)



Sure enough, the next time I saw her, she bounced over to me and said, "Remember the last time we talked I told you I would find out the name of my favorite aria by Wagner?"



"Of course," I replied, Verrrrry curious!!!! by now.



"When I Am Laid in Earth", she replied happily.



=*.*=



Comments? Insight?



(for reference: the aria is 'Dido's Lament' from Henry Purcell's "Dido and Aeneas")



A little question about musical education ... or is it about something else?binoculars



*sigh*



And it all starts with our MISERABLE public school music education.



Oh, it's not that I expect the average person to know that aria ... only that I would expect a person who HAS A COLLEGE DEGREE in a music related field AND claims it to be their favorite ... you'd think they'd know!



*sigh*



I'd be happy if the average person could tell the difference (roughly) between classical and baroque music!



A little question about musical education ... or is it about something else?violin opera theater



You need to get out less.
Hum....



Does she looks boyish?
She missed the "ed" part of the music ed degree.



And of course, Purcell and Wagner sound SO much alike.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd