Thursday, December 10, 2009

What age can a small child sit through a child movie at theater?

I was wondering when to try to take my daughter to a movie at the theater. She is only 2 1/2 but can sit through a movie at home if it catches her attention (it is a toss-up as to what will / will not keep her in the seat for 1 1/2 hours). I didn't want to waste money going to a theater to see a children't feature without some feedback from you. She may be overwhelmed with the other children or the darkness. What was your experience?



What age can a small child sit through a child movie at theater?listen to opera



It really depends on the child, their mood, the movie, and the atmosphere. I first took my son to the theater when he was 18 months old to watch Barnyard. He sat there the entire time, didn't make a sound, and loved it!! I've taken him 3 times since then (he's 2 years/ 8 months now) and have had to leave every time. He usually lasts through 1/2 of the movie. If you decide to go for it, be prepared to leave if you have to %26amp; don't count on finishing the movie.



What age can a small child sit through a child movie at theater?concert venue opera theater



4 seems to be the right age in my experience.
I took my son at 2 and then again at 3 and he was fine. I took my son for the first session so it is half price for you both and the theater is emptier.
it totally depends on the child and the movie....i would say take a chance and see how it goes, you can always bribe her with candy or popcorn if she isn't that into the movie :)
I would say 5 would be the best. My husband i took our 3 year old to Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and i was surprised he sat through 3 hours of after that last hour he started get to ant see
It really depends on the child. My daughter is almost 2 and I know I wouldn't be able to take her. She can't sit still long enough to watch a one hour tv show, let alone a movie in a completely new setting.



However, my best friend has a daughter that's about the same age, who will happily sit through just about ANYTHING on tv for however long, and does absolutely fine at the theater.



If she'll sit through a movie for that long, then it's worth a shot. Just go during the day (not anywhere near naptime though!), that way if it doesn't work out, you only wasted $10, since matinee is much cheaper :)
I would wait until she is at least 3 or even 4. It is so expensive to go to the movies and if she isn't into it, than you're out the money. I also would make a HUGE production about going, and make it seem so great and wonderful (it also helps not to take her real often so it seems special). Also, you may want to also gauge this on her needs to use the bathroom. If she can go long periods without needing to go that helps, because if she has to leave a lot to go pee then she will become more disinterested in the movie when she has to leave. If watching movies at your house seems to work well, then continue to do that. You could always pretend it is like going to the real movies. Bring some chairs in and watch the move with some popcorn and explain that is what it is like going to the real movie, and you can't leave. That way she begins to understand what is expected when you go!
That is too young, your child will be figitty and want to move around the theater. Wait untoil she is at least 4.
It depends totally on the child..some can sit and watch a movie,,,my granddaughter for example...can't sit still for 2 minutes,,,,at home or at a movie..so I wouldn't take her...
My daughter just turned two a month ago. She will not sit thru a movie as long as she can get up. She is at the "hands on" stage. The only way I get her to sit thru a movie is if I put her in her highchair and park her right in front of the tv! I would hold off for now, wait another year. Get a sitter and go see the movie, thats what we do!



Altho, you can TRY it, just to see her reaction. Your child my be mature enough to sit thru it. Make sure you get plenty of popcorn and a child friendly movie tho!
"They" usually say to try at age 3- but it depends on the individual child. My grandkids were fine by the time they were three and love going to the movies! My youngest grandson, who will be 5 this month, has been going to see everything his older brother (11) has seen since he was 2 and has always sat through just fine and loved everything he saw! He's up for anything anyway, but that's what I mean about it being an individual thing. Thry it- kids under 3 or 4 are usually free anyway, and if you go to a matinee it'll be less expensive. (Bring treats from home in your purse....SHHhhhhh)
If you do it, do a matinee in the middle of the week. You'll most likely be there with a lot of other moms trying to keep a handle on their kids as well. Typically, adults or teenagers, the people who would get upset by disruptions, aren't at those showings, and the other moms and kids are more understanding during a lot of the talking.



We waited to take the kids to the theater until they were three years old. By that time, they were pretty consistantly able to sit and watch a 90 minute movie at home. They also understood "indoor/outdoor voices".



If she gets frightened in the dark or when there are loud noises, or if she REALLY gets into movies, you probably want to wait a little longer. The kids who get really into the movie have a really difficult time dealing with the 10-foot-tall characters on the screen. I remember watching Finding Nemo in the theater, and I'm telling you, when that shark started trying to attack Dory and Marlin, at least four kids started screaming. Two had to be removed.



If you think she could probably handle it, go, but try not to have many expectations. Sit near the door, on the aisle, and if she starts to lose it, slip out and figure you'll try it again in a year or so.
ADC,



I suggest that you watch your kid at home. If they seem to have some attention span, I would risk taking them to the movies.



Kids tend to behave much better in the movies than when watching TV at home. The largeness of the screen and pop corn are all very pleasant experience for them.



My husband and I have been going to the movies at least once per two weeks with our 2 and a half year old daughter and seven month old son ( he's asleep after watching the big screen for 15-30 mins).



She watches the entire movie not problem. Not only that... we never go to the kid movies, but to see some light adult movies, like comedies with Ben Stiller, etc. She likes to imitate us and laughs when we are laughing. She understand that "we whisper in the movies, not talk".



Good luck! Try to take your little one once or twice and you may be very pleasantly surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd