Saturday, December 5, 2009

Preventing bypass of password on Windows XP Home Edition?

I posted a ? last night regarding preventing someone from bypassing passwords by using the F8 function key, logging on as admin., and then changing the password on one of the other 2 accounts. I received a helpful reply from someone named Mr. Ed.



He/she directed me to use run: "control userpasswords2" to change the password on the admin. account and said I should change use of the other two accounts to "power user."



There is no "power user" on WinXP Home Edition, only admin/limited access. From what I can tell, limited access users can still change passwords.



I changed the password on the Administrator account. My question is can the password still be bypassed by F8 via the administrator if that password has been changed by me? In other words meaning, can they change the administrator password so that they can access the other 2 accounts to change passwords?



Any help/info/advice is appreciated. I'm somewhat computer savvy, but not enough as to mess with Bios. Thanks!



Preventing bypass of password on Windows XP Home Edition?opera singer



Limited access accounts can only change their own password. They can't even see the other accounts the computer holds once logged in.



If you've set an administrator password, you will even need that to log into that account in safe mode so you should be fairly well protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Ltd